- M.B.B.S. (JIPMER, Puducherry);
- M.D. (Psychiatry) (JIPMER, Puducherry)
- DNB (Psychiatry) (National Board of Examinations)
Key publications grouped by area of interest:
- Kumar PNS, Menon V, Andrade Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 12-week trial of vitamin D augmentation in major depressive disorder associated with vitamin D deficiency. J Affect Disord 2022;314:143-149.
- Kumar PNS, Suresh R, Menon V. An Open-Label Rater-Blinded Randomized Trial of Vilazodone versus Escitalopram in Major Depression. Indian J Psychol Med. 2023;45(1):19–25.
- Vellekkatt F, Menon V, Rajappa M, Sahoo S. Effect of adjunctive single dose parenteral Vitamin D supplementation in major depressive disorder with concurrent vitamin D deficiency: A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Psychiatr Res 2020;129:250-256.
- Grover S, Avasthi A, Chakravarty R, Dan A, Chakraborty K, Neogi R, Desousa A, Nayak O, Praharaj SK, Menon V, Deep R, Bathla M, Subramanyam AA, Nebhinani N, Ghosh P, Lakdawala B, Bhattacharya R. Predominant Polarity in Bipolar disorder: Findings from the Bipolar Disorder Course and Outcome Study from India (BiD-CoIN study). Compr Psychiatry 2021;109:152249
- Muruganandham P, Neelamegam S,Menon V, Alexander J, Chaturvedi SK. COVID-19 and Severe Mental Illness: Impact on patients and its relation with their awareness about COVID-19. Psychiatry Res 2020;291:113265.
- Kuppili PP, Menon V, Chandrasekaran V, Navin K. Biological rhythm impairment in Bipolar Disorder: A state or trait marker? Indian J Psychiatry 2018;60:404-9.
- Selvakumar N, Menon V, Kattimani S. A cross-sectional analysis of patterns and predictors of medication adherence in Bipolar Disorder: Single center experience from South India. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci2018;16:168-75.
- Muthuramalingam A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Negi VS. Effect of fluoxetine on inflammatory cytokines in drug naïve major depression: A short term prospective study from South India. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2016; 36: 726-8.
- Muthuramalingam A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Negi VS. Is depression an inflammatory disease? Findings from a cross-sectional study at a tertiary care center. Indian J Psychol Med 2016; 38: 114-9.
- Menon V, Kar SK, Suthar N, Nebhinani N. Vitamin D and depression: A critical reappraisal of the evidence and future recommendations. Indian J Psychol Med 2020;42(1): 11-21.
- Menon V, BafnaAR, RogersML, Cohen LJ, RichardsJ, Galynker Factor structure and validity of the Suicidal Narrative Inventory among Indian adults. Crisis 2023 (In press). doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000884
- Menon V, BafnaAR, RogersML, RichardsJ, Galynker Factor structure and validity of the Revised Suicide Crisis Inventory (SCI-2) among Indian adults. Asian J Psychiatr 2022;73:103119.
- Menon V, Kar SK, Ransing R, Sharma G, Pattnaik JI, Kaliamoorthy C, Varadharajan N, Mukherjee S, Agrawal A, Padhy SK, Arafat SMY. Changing trends in quality of media reporting of suicide in the community following a celebrity suicide in India. Aust NZJ Psychiatry 2022;56(1):81-90.
- Arafat SMY, Menon V, Bascarane S, Kar SK, Kabir R. Variations in newspaper reporting of suicidal behavior in WHO-South-East Asian region. J Public Health 2021;43(4):e684-688.
- Cherian AV, Menon V, Rathnam B, Aiman A, Bhat US, Arahantabailu P, John S, Kumar S, Bhat A. Awareness and Preferences About Suicide Crisis Support Service Options Among College Students in India: A Cross Sectional Study. Asian J Psychiatr 2022;74:103172.
- Menon V, Kar SK, Marthoenis M, Arafat SMY, Sharma G, Kaliamoorthy C, Ransing R, Mukherjee S, Pattnaik JI, Shirahatti NB, Varadharajan N, Padhy SK. Is there any link between celebrity suicide and further suicidal behavior in India?Int J Soc Psychiatry 2021;67(5):453-460.
- Kar SK, Menon V, Arafat SMY, Rai S, Kaliamoorthy C, Akter H, Shukla S, Sharma N, Roy D, Sridhar VK. Impact of COVID-19 pandemic related lockdown on Suicide: Analysis of newspaper reports during pre-lockdown and lockdown period in Bangladesh and India. Asian J Psychiatr 2021;60:102649.
- Menon V, Kaliamoorthy C, Sridhar VK, Varadharajan N, Joseph R, Kattimani S, Kar SK, Arafat SMY. Do Tamil newspapers educate the public about suicide? Content analysis from a high suicide union territory in India. Int J Soc Psychiatry 2020;66(8):785-791.
- Singh A, Kumar SG, Menon V,Olickal JJ, Ulaganeethi R, Sunny R, Subramanian S, Kothari A, Chinnakali P. Prevalence of suicidal ideation, plan, attempts and its associated factors in selected rural and urban areas of Puducherry, India. J Public Health 2021;43(4):846-856.
- Menon V, Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Sathyanarayanan G, Subramanian K, Velusamy SK. Age at onset of first suicide attempt: Exploring the utility of a potential candidate variable to subgroup attempters. Asian J Psy2018;37:40-45.
- Menon V, Kattimani S, Shrivastava MK, Thazath HK. Clinical and socio-demographic correlates of suicide intent among adolescents with deliberate self-harm – a hospital based study. Crisis 2013; 34: 282-288.
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Bascarane S, Subramanian K, Mukherjee MP, Kattimani S. Psychological autopsy: Overview of Indian evidence, best practice elements and a semi-structured interview guide. Indian J Psychiatry 2020;62(6):631-643.
- Menon V. Suicide risk assessment and formulation: An update. Asian J Psychiatr 2013; 6: 430-435.
- Menon V, Selvakumar N, Kattimani S, Andrade C. Therapeutic effects of mobile-based text message reminders for medication adherence in bipolar I disorder: Are they maintained after intervention cessation? J Psychiatr Res2018;104:163-168.
- Jilisha G, Jayaseelan V, Menon V, Olickal JJ. Nomophobia: A mixed-methods study on prevalence, associated factors and Perception among college students in Puducherry, India. Indian J Psychol Med 2019;41(6):541-8.
- Sreejith S, Menon V. Mobile phones as a medium of mental health care service delivery: Perspectives and barriers among patients with severe mental illness. Indian J Psychol Med 2019; 41: 428-33
- Kar SK, Kabir R, Menon V, Arafat SMY, Prakash AJ, Saxena SK. Artificial intelligence in mental healthcare during COVID-19 pandemic. In: Nandan Mohanty S., Saxena S.K., Satpathy S., Chatterjee J.M. (eds) Applications of Artificial Intelligence in COVID-19. Medical Virology: From Pathogenesis to Disease Control. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-7317-0_17. (ISBN 978-981-15-7316-3)
- Menon V, Rajan TM, Sarkar S. Psychotherapeutic applications of mobile phone-based technologies: A systematic review of current research and trends. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:4-11.
- Ransing R, Menon V, Kar SK, Arafat SMY. Artificial Intelligence-based models for augmenting media reporting of suicide: Challenges and Opportunities. Global Psychiatry 2021;4(2):123-129.
- Balasubramanian I, Faheem A, Padhy SK, Menon V. Psychiatric adverse reactions to COVID-19 vaccines: A rapid review of published case reports. Asian J Psychiatr 2022;71;103129.
- Menon V, Shanmuganathan B, Thamizh JS, Arun AB. Kuppili PP, Sarkar S. Personality traits such as neuroticism and disability predict psychological distress in medically unexplained symptoms: A three year experience from a single center. Pers Ment Health2017;12:145-54.
- Menon V, Shanmughanathan B, Arun AB, Thamizh JS, Selvakumar N, Sarkar S. A qualitative analysis of explanatory models in medically unexplained physical symptoms presenting to a tertiary health care psychiatric facility in South India. Int J Soc Psychiatry 2016; 62(7): 608-615.
- Menon V, Ransing R, Praharaj SK. Management of psychiatric disorders in patients with hepatic and gastrointestinal diseases. Indian J Psychiatry 2022;64(8):379-393.
- Menon V, Pillai AG, Satheesh S, Kaliamurthy C, Sarkar S. Factor structure and validity of type D personality scale among Indian (Tamil speaking) patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. Indian J Psychiatry 2019;61:572-7.
- Menon V, Shanmughanathan B, Thamizh JS, Arun AB, Sarkar S. Efficacy of adjunctive single session counselling for medically unexplained symptoms: A randomized controlled trial. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:641-7.
- Pillai AG, Menon V, Satheesh S. Prevalence and correlates of Type D personality among survivors following Acute Myocardial Infarction in a tertiary care center in South India. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2019;10(3):405-412.
- Chinneimawi E, Nagarajan P,Menon V. Caregiver burden and disability in somatoform disorder: An exploratory study. Indian J Psychol Med 2021;43(6);500-507.
- Biyyala D, Joseph R, Varadharajan N, Krishnamoorthy Y, Menon V. Incidence and prevalence of depressive, anxiety, and insomnia symptoms among adult liver transplant recipients: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2022;80:26-34.
- Kuppili PP, Menon V, Sathyanarayanan G, Sarkar S, Andrade C. Efficacy of adjunctive D-Cycloserine for the treatment of schizophrenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Neural Transm 2021;128:253-262.
- Kar SK, Menon V, Arafat SMY, Singh A, Das A, Shankar A, Sharma P, Perera S. Dhat syndrome: Systematic review of epidemiology, nosology, clinical features, and management strategies. Asian J Psychiatr 2021;65:102863.
- Krishnamoorthy Y, Nagarajan R, Saya GK, Menon V. Prevalence of Psychological Morbidities Among General Population, Healthcare Workers and COVID-19 patients Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Psychiatry Res 2020;293:113382.
- Vellekkatt F, Menon V. Efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in major depression: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Postgrad Med2019;65(2):74-80.
- Menon V, Rajan TM, Kuppili PP, Sarkar S. Cognitive-behavior therapy for medically unexplained symptoms: A systematic review and meta-analysis of published controlled trials. Indian J Psychol Med2017;39:399-406.
Publications and publishing
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Praharaj SK, Ameen S. Trust but verify: an analysis of redundant publications from two major psychiatry journals in India. Indian J Psychiatry 2022;64(4):342-348.
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Praharaj SK, Ameen S. Quality of peer review reports submitted to a specialty psychiatry journal. Asian J Psychiatr 2021;58:102599.
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Praharaj SK, Ameen S. Why do manuscripts get rejected? A content analysis of rejection reports from Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. Indian J Psychol Med 2022;44(1):59-65.
- Menon V, Jayaprakashan KP, Varadharajan N, Ameen S, Praharaj SK. Fate of manuscripts rejected by a specialty psychiatry journal: A retrospective cohort study. Indian J Psychol Med 2022;44(5):493-498.
- Singh PK, Kumar V, Ameen S, Sarkhel S, Praharaj SK, Menon V. Clinical Practice Guidelines on Publication Ethics. Indian J Psychiatry 2022;64:S81-92.
- Arafat SMY, Kar SK, Menon V, Kabir R, Vinnakota D, Saroj A. Studies on sexual behavior during COVID-19 pandemic: A bibliometric analysis. J Psychosexual Health 2022 (In Press)
- Kar SK, Arafat SMY, Menon V. A Bibliometric Analysis of Dhat Syndrome. Psychiatry Int 2021;2:379-385.
- Gupta S, Menon V. Psychiatry training for medical students: a global perspective and implications for India?s competency-based medical education curriculum. Indian J Psychiatry 2022;64:240-51
- Sahadevan S, Kurian N, Mani AM, Kishor M, Menon V. Implementing competency based medical education curriculum in undergraduate psychiatric training in India: Opportunities and challenges. Asia Pac Psychiatry 2021;13(4):e12491.
- Menon V, Sarkar S, Kumar S. Barriers to health care seeking among medical students: A cross-sectional study from South India. Postgrad Med J 2015; 91: 477-482.
- Sarkar S, Menon V. Development and validation of a scale to assess barriers to health care seeking among medical students. Med Sci Educ 2015; 25(4): 377-382.
- Kishor M, Shah H, Chandran S, Mysore AV, Kumar A, Menon V,Vinay HR, Isaac M, Singh OP. Psychiatry postgraduate examinations for the year 2020 in the middle of COVID19 crisis: Suggestions from Indian teachers of psychiatry. Indian J Psychiatry 2020; 62:431-4.
- Kishor M, Gupta R, Ashok MV, Isaac M, Chaddha RK, Singh OP, Shah H, Nischal A, Dave M, Vinay Kumar HR, Das A, Rohilla JK, Singh PK, Kumar P, Kumar, Swami M, Solanki RK, Sahadevan S, Pal A, Ray R, Garg S, Tikka SK, Dyanin M, Avinadh P, Dhiman V, Basu A, Rawat VS, Krishnan V, Menon V, Chandran S, Nebhinani N. Competency‑based medical curriculum: Psychiatry, training of faculty, and Indian Psychiatric Society. Indian J Psychiatry 2020; 62(2):207-208.
For a complete list of publications
Taskforce/committee positions outside the institution
- Co-coordinator for the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) initiative for the Development of effective national suicide prevention strategy and practice and establishment of regional suicide prevention networks in South-East Asia (2021-ongoing)
- Convenor – Course and Certification Sub-Committee of Indian Psychiatric Society (2021-ongoing)
- Co-chairman, Publication Committee, Indian Psychiatric Society South Zone Branch (2021-ongoing)
- Life Fellow of Indian Psychiatric Society
- Member – Indian Association of Biological Psychiatry
- Member, International Association of Suicide Prevention – Early Career Group (IASP-ECG)
- Member of the Indian Association of Social Psychiatry
Taskforce/committee positions within the institution
- Departmental nodal officer responsible for maintaining and updating departmental content on institute website
- Department nominee for Postgraduate Curriculum Revision Committee constituted for designing and developing a revised MD/MS curriculum for implementation from the academic year 2022-2023
- Member, Committee for identification of posts suitable for persons with benchmark disability in promotion among Group ‘C’ in pursuance of provisions under RPwD Act, 2016
- Member of Sponsored Clinical Trial Research Committee
- Faculty Member – Medical Education Unit, JIPMER which is also a Medical Council of India recognized Regional Center for Faculty Development Programs and conducts the biannual National Teacher Training Center (NTTC) course for teachers of health professionals from all over the country
- Psychosomatic Clinic
- Crisis Intervention Clinic
- Pre-Transplant evaluation Clinic
- Metabolic Surgery Clinic
- Behavior Addiction Clinic