DEPARTMENT OF NURSING - HISTORY
The department of Nursing is one of the essential backbones strengthening service in Patient care delivery. Nursing is one of the finest of all fine art in the world. The Nursing services started in the year 1823 with 164 Nurses, then in 1963 when it was shifted from G.H. to Dhanvantri and then to JIPMER the Nursing strength was 400. Then in 1986 when the third phase of Institute Block was expanded the department also expanded with 600 to 700 Nurses.
The Hospital continued to expand along with that the Nursing department also expanded since the Health Care and Nursing is in distinguishable and it is like part and parcel of the Health Care System.
As the institution was upgrading as per the 10thplan vision documentation the Super Specialty, Trauma Care Center, Regional Care Center, Women and Child Health Care, Rural Health center and Urban Health care center was established. Our Nurses also grown with tremendous knowledge and innovative skills in all specialty area. From General Health service to specialty service the Nurses have given their vibrant and extraordinary contribution in setting up the entire specialty OTs, Cath Labs, Dialysis, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Kidney Transplantation and Super Specialty Wards. The Nurses are trained to provide excellent and efficient quality patient care in all multitasking areas. Now presently Nursing Department has expanded with 2 Nursing Superintendents, 11 Deputy Nursing Superintendents, 4 Tutors, 73 Assistant Nursing Superintendents, 333 Senior Nursing Officers, 889 Nursing Officers and the department is having an office with two clerks and 2 peons.
Every year Florence Nightingale Award for the best Nursing service is provided.
The Middle level supervisors are the bridge between Top Level and Lower level Management. The Top Level management always supports and guides the Nurses to improve the knowledge and uplift the quality service.
The department has unique system of Administration that functions very smoothly.
Expanded role of the profession in legal and ethical issues are tackled efficiently.
Our department carries out many educational activities to improve the knowledge and skills and to have full potentials in all specialty area to provide efficient quality health care. The following activities are carried out.
- Inservice Education
- Institutional level CNE Programme on every Thursday under the direction of MOH.
- Nurses are taking classes focusing on their respective specialty area.
- Interdepartmental education for the nurses also carried out.
- Department Level Mini Workshops
- State and National level conferences are being held.
- Many international conferences/workshop are also being carried out by JIPMER Nurses.
- Induction Training and orientation training program for newly joined Nurses.
- Outreach Health Education Services by various departments.
- Nurses are motivated to go for Higher educations (B.sc Nursing, M.sc Nursing, Public Health Nursing)
- Through HR training cell Tutors are actively giving training to all the employees of the Hospital on the process of achieving accreditation.
- The staffs are regularly updated with current skills in CPR, Central Venus Catheters asepsis, maintenance of mechanical ventilators in ICU, isolation techniques in renal transplantation.
- The nurses are given continuous training to provide efficient quality care for pediatric and neonatal.
- The nurses are sent to other higher institutions to get trained in stoma care, Liver transplantation, Tissue transplantation.
FUNCTIONS AND RECREATIONS:-
- Our department celebrates Nightingale day on May 12th.
- Farewell party is given for the nurses those who are going on superannuation in a grand manner.
- Nurses are taking parts in various recreational and entertainment activities in hospital celebrations.
- Nurses are actively involved in sports activity and they have won many tournaments.
- Nurses are involved in achieving the organizational goals.
- They are taking active parts in JIPMER Quality Council.
- The Hospital Infection control committee vigorously working to have Infection free environment.
- The most important activities like Biomedical Waste Management also done by nurses.
- Nurses are being awarded for their achievement.
- Institutional Awards.
- National Awards.
- Over and all the nurses are qualified with Master degree and they do research activities also and they have updated their knowledge in assisting for Robotic surgery.
DEPARTMENT FUNCTIONAL ACTIVITIES:-
- The department has wide systematic approach in the functional activities.
- There is a remarkable reporting system.
- The management divides into top level, middle level and lower level management.
- The top level manages all the higher level activities like administering the overall unit.
- The middle level bridging between top level and lower level.
- The lower level is the main functional unit.
- Every month meetings are conducted for all the categories and all the problems and solutions are discussed.
- Duty scheduling, leave arrangements, supervision, monitoring are done in an efficient way so that the normal duties are not hampered.
- The department extends various help to other departments in the organization.
- To conduct State, National, International conferences on different aspects of Nursing.
Last Updated :06-Apr-2023