DEPARTMENT OF RADIODIAGNOSIS
- The department of Radio diagnosis was started in the year 1961 as the Department of Radiology comprising of the departments of Radio-diagnosis, Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine.
- The First officer of the Department of Radiology was Dr. K.D. Reddy.
- The Department of Radiology bifurcated into the departments of Radio-diagnosis and Radiotherapy in 1990.
- Currently, the Department is located in five blocks namely the main hospital block, super specialty block, emergency medical services block , super specialty block annex and women and children’s hospital.
- There are 7 faculties in the department at present and the Head of Department is Dr. Sunitha V.C.
The successive list of HODs from 1961
- K.D. Reddy
- I. S. Dusaj
- O.P. Sharma
- S. Elangovan
- S. Vivekanandam
- K. S. Patro
- K. Nagarajan.
- A. Ramesh
- Sunitha V.C. (Since July 2021).
Equipment and services provided in the department
The department of Radio-diagnosis is committed to excellence in patient care and offers quality diagnostic imaging services to all patients attending the main hospital, super specialty block, emergency medical services, women and children’s hospital, super specialty block annex (covid wards) and regional cancer center.
- Way back in 1990 ,the Department of Radio diagnosis had the following equipments
- 700 mA X Ray machine,
- 200 mA X Ray machine,
- 100 mA battery operated mobile unit
- and Conventional fluoroscopy machine.
- Several state-of-the-art equipments have been purchased over the past 6 decades
- Ultrasound machine with pulse Doppler facility was installed in the department in the year 1988.
- The then state-of-the-art Whole Body Spiral CT scanner, the first of its kind in India was installed in JIPMER in the year 1994.
- At present, the department is equipped with
- One state-of-the-art 3 Tesla MRI system,
- Two 1.5 tesla MRI systems,
- Five CT scanners (Dual slice, 6 slice, 64 slice and two 128 Slice CT scanners),
- One 1000mA digital image intensifier,
- One 500 mA Image intensifier with high frequency Xray,
- Ten ultrasound machines,
- Four digital radiography units,
- Five X ray units,
- Two retrofit DR units,
- Eight computed radiography units
- Picture archiving and communication system (PACS) was installed in July 2014.
- Diagnostic as well as therapeutic vascular interventional radiology procedures were started since 2015