DEPARTMENT OF RADIODIAGNOSIS
- The department of Radio diagnosis was started in the year 1961 as the Department of Radiology comprising of the departments of Radio-diagnosis, Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine.
- The First officer of the Department of Radiology was Dr. K.D. Reddy.
- The Department of Radiology bifurcated into the departments of Radio-diagnosis and Radiotherapy in 1990.
- Currently, the Department is located in five blocks namely the main hospital block, super specialty block, emergency medical services block , super specialty block annex and women and children’s hospital.
- There are 7 faculties in the department at present and the Head of Department is Dr. Sunitha V.C.
The successive list of HODs from 1961
- K.D. Reddy
- I. S. Dusaj
- O.P. Sharma
- S. Elangovan
- S. Vivekanandam
- K. S. Patro
- K. Nagarajan.
- A. Ramesh
- Sunitha V.C. (Since July 2021).
Equipment and services provided in the department
- Way back in 1990 ,the Department of Radio diagnosis had the following equipments
- 700 mA X Ray machine,
- 200 mA X Ray machine,
- 100 mA battery operated mobile unit
- and Conventional fluoroscopy machine.
- Several state-of-the-art equipments have been purchased over the past 6 decades
- Ultrasound machine with pulse Doppler facility was installed in the department in the year 1988.
- The then state-of-the-art Whole body Spiral CT scanner, the first of its kind in India was installed in JIPMER in the year 1994.
- At present, the department is equipped with
- One state-of-the-art 3Tesla MRI system,
- Two 1.5 tesla MRI systems,
- Five CT scanners ( 2 slice, 6 slice, 64 slice and two 128 Slice CT scanners),
- One 1000mA digital image intensifier,
- One 500 mA Image intensifier with high frequency Xray ,
- Ten ultrasound machines ,
- Four digital radiography units,
- Five X ray units,
- Two retrofit DR units,
- Eight computed radiography units,
- Picture archiving and communication system (PACS) was installed in July 2014. All the approved radiology reports of MRI, CT, USG, diagnostic vascular interventions, Mammogram, and other special investigations are also available in PACS. This enables effortless and prompt viewing of all imaging investigations and reports by the clinicians in their OPD, wards and work areas.
- Vascular interventional radiology procedures were started since 2015 and various diagnostic as well as therapeutic interventional procedures such as bronchial artery and uterine artery embolization and preoperative tumor embolization, AVM embolization, chemoembolization of liver tumors, coil placement, carotid stenting etc are being done since 2015 utilizing the cardiac Cath lab.
- Full field digital mammography unit equipped with digital breast tomosynthesis and stereotactic biopsy device is also available in the Department. Digital mammography guided Stereotactic breast biopsies, stereotactic and USG guided wire localizations and marker placements are being done regularly.
- USG and CT guided intervention procedures such as FNAC, biopsy, and pig tail drainage procedures are routinely being done.
- Percutaneous biliary drainage, sclerotherapy for varicose veins and arteriovenous malformations are also being done regularly.
- USG Elastography is also being done regularly for liver, breast and thyroid lesions. Contrast enhanced USG is being done recently for liver, renal and pancreatic lesions.
- Dedicated fetal anomaly scan is being done on regular basis.
The department is committed to excellence in patient care, education and research and contributes regularly to research activities of all the other specialties of the Institute.
The department regularly conducts academic programs and CMEs on its own as well as in collaboration with the Pondicherry subchapter of Tamilnadu and Pondicherry chapter of Indian radiological and Imaging Association.
The department of Radio-diagnosis offers quality diagnostic imaging services to all patients attending the main hospital, super specialty block, emergency medical services,women and children’s hospital, super specialty block annex (covid wards) and regional cancer center.