Academic courses and training
- First diploma course (DMRD) was started in the year 1972.
- First M.D. course was started in the year 1981.
- There were three post graduate seats per year till 2013.
- At present, the department trains 13 MD postgraduate students every year – 6 in January session and 7 in July session.
- Post-doctoral fellowship in advanced imaging of one year duration was started in 2017 July with intake of one candidate per year.
- DM course in Neuroimaging and Interventional radiology of three year duration was started in 2019 January with intake of one candidate per year.
- Department also conducts 3 year B. Sc. Course in Medical technology - Radio diagnosis with intake of 5 students per year. This course was started in the year 2015
- MD, MS, M.Ch. and DM residents of various departments undergo rotatory postings in the department of Radio-diagnosis and are trained in the imaging aspects relevant to their specialties.
- Undergraduate MBBS students and students of allied paramedical courses are also trained on the basics of Imaging.
Academic / Teaching programs
- Undergraduates: MBBS
Semester 7 MBBS students, divided into 4 batches are posted in the department for two weeks. Regular teaching program for them include lecture classes and practical exposure to basics of various investigation modalities such as Radiography, Special Investigations, Ultrasound, CT, and MRI. In addition, first year MBBS students are taught the basics of relevant imaging anatomy as part of early clinical exposure program.
- Undergraduates: B. Sc. Medical technology - Radio diagnosis:
Regular teaching program for B. Sc. MT Radio diagnosis including lecture
Classes and practical postings to various modalities such as Radiography, special Investigations, Ultrasound, CT, and MRI.
- Postgraduates: MD Radio diagnosis
Junior residents are posted in various imaging modalities such as Radiography, special Investigations, Mammography, Doppler, Ultrasound, CT, and MRI on monthly rotation basis along with senior residents and in charge faculty.
Postgraduate academic program includes
- Daily discussion of interesting cases (8.15 am to 9 am),
- Seminars on Mondays and Wednesdays (4.15 pm to 5.15 pm),
- DM/PDCC seminars and journal article presentations on Fridays (4.15 pm to 5.15 pm)
- Clinico radiological meetings with the departments of urology, pediatric surgery, endocrinology, and gastroenterology on Thursdays (4 pm to 5.30 pm).
- The department regularly conducts academic programs and CMEs on its own as well as in collaboration with the Pondicherry subchapter of Tamilnadu and Pondicherry chapter of Indian radiological and Imaging Association.