The faculties and residents are involved in multiple qualitative research involving all spectrum of lung diseases. Various multicentric and international studies are currently ongoing in the department.
Ongoing research projects:
- ICMR Network of Pulmonary fibrosis
- The Indian COPD registry study(INCOR Study)
- Common protocol for collecting data & bio-repository specimens from participants in the Regional Prospective observational Research for tuberculosis (Re PORT - India) consortium (RePORT India common protocol).
- A multicentre phase II / III double blind, Randomized, Placebo controlled study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of VPM 1002 in the prevention of Tuberculosis (TB) recurrence in Pulmonary Tuberculosis patients after successful TB treatment in India.
- Comparison of SPAN diagnostics and TUBERSOL purified protein derivative (PPD) skin test (TST) antigen solutions in detecting latent Tuberculosis infection in India.
- Biomarkers for risk of Tuberculosis and Tuberculosis treatment failure and relapse.
- Quantification of immune cell types and identification of cell type specific biomarker expression in pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis patients
- Clinico-pathological profile of Primary Lung Cancer in a tertiary health care centre in South India.
- Assessment of the level of plasma fibrinogen & hsCRP and their association with severity of disease in patients with COPD
- Prevalence of Allergic Bronchopulmonary aspergillosis in acute severe Asthma.
- Evaluation of same day sputum smear microscopy in comparison to conventional sputum smear microscopy in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis
- Correlation of six minute walk test and incremental shuttle walk test with severity of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- The utility of FEV1 / FEV6 as a surrogate for FEV1 / FVC in the diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in South Indian Population.
- Correlation of chemotherapy treatment outcome with six minute walk test (6MWT) in Metastatic Lung Cancer patient.
- Comparison of efficacy of autologous blood patch pleurodesis versus doxycycline pleurodesis in the management of persistent air leak in patients with secondary spontaneous pneumothorax- A randomized control trial.
- Prevalence and molecular identification of non-tuberculous mycobacteria in patients with pulmonary and extra-pulmonary infections.
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among post pulmonary tuberculosis associated COPD – A cross-sectional study.
- Association of vitamin D level and genetic polymorphisms related to vitamin D metabolism on response to inhalational corticosteroids in South Indian patients with persistent asthma.
- Assessment of the alveolar- capillary membrane permeability using Technetium-99m diethylene triamine penta acetate (Tc99m-DTPA) aerosols in patients with diffuse systemic sclerosis-a cross sectional study.
- Utility of FEV1/FEV6 as a surrogate for FEV1/FVC in the diagnosis of COPD a tertiary hospital based cross-sectional study.
- Clinical, microbiological and functional phenotype of Bronchietasis in a tertiary care hospital, a descriptive study.
- Active case Finding for Tuberculosis among health care workers in a tertiary care centre, Pondicherry
- Active tuberculosis finding among patients on inhaled corticosteroids for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) attending a tertiary care hospital in Puducherry.
- Clinico-Radiological, Pathological and Physiological profile of interstitial lung diseases in a tertiary care centre of South India- A descriptive study.
- Autonomic function tests in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD) and their correlation with disease severity
- Study of Variation in Neutrophil Lymphocyte Ratio and Platelet Indices in Stable and Acute Exacerbation of adult patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – A Hospital based-cross-sectional study’.
- Analysis of clinico- demographic risk factors for post operative pulmonary complications following gastro intestinal surgery.