Research and Publications
a) Research Completed
- Carbamazepine induced headache in patients with epilepsy: a case control study.
- Comparison of efficacy of local corticosteroid injection into carpal tunnel: Distal Vs Proximal approaches in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome
- Neuroimaging in localization related epilepsy
- Retrospective analysis of association of changes in Median Nerve size parameters measured by serial ultrasonography with clinical electrophysiology response in patients with CTS
- Cerebrovascular reactivity and postural alterations in cerebral blood flow velocity in patients with ischemic stroke: a case control study
b) Research in Progress
- Auditory processing and auditory working memory in children with BECTS (ENT)
- A study to assess utility of Novel induction –de induction technique in patients with suspected Psychogenic Non-epileptic seizure (PNES.)
- Comparison of safety and efficacy of amitriptyline and gabapentin in migraine prophylaxis randomized double blinded double dummy trial.
- Association of CYP2C19* 2(681G >A) allele & UGT1A6*2 (552A>C) allele genetic polymorphism on valproic acid-induced weight gain in persons living with epilepsy (PWE) from South India
- Comparison of combined extension MRI and 3DT2 W SPACE sequence with standard MRI protocol in cervical spondylosis
- Vascular cognitive decline in young stroke subjects
- Autonomic function tests in subjects with epilepsy: a case control study
- Randomized double blind placebo-controlled trial of Sodium ozagrel and Edaravone in acute ischemic stroke (EDOZ) (CTRI REF/2012/03/003334)
- Adaptation and validation of a semantically, Trans culturally and operationally equivalent Tamil version of the Dissociative Experiences Scale II (DESII) in patients with Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizure patients (PNES)
- Autonomic dysfunction in People Living with Epilepsy (PWE) on Carbamazepine versus other Antiepileptic Drug Monotherapy: A ComparativeCross sectional study
- Prevalence of Restless Legs Syndrome in Patients of Chronic Liver Disease
- Prevalence of Restless Legs Syndrome in Patients of Chronic Kidney Disease
- Translation and validation of International Restless Leg Syndrome Study Group rating scale and Restless Legs Syndrome Quality of Life Questionnaire in Tamil language.
- Biochemical derangements related to metabolic Syndrome in Epileptic patients receiving Phenytoin and Sodium valproate
- Influence of ABCB1 3435C>T genetic polymorphism on clinical response of carbamazepine in South Indian epileptic patients. n collaboration with Department of pharmacology
- Spectral EEG, MRI Brain, genetic profile (MECP2) in autistic spectrum disorders in Tamilian Children in and around Pondicherry: a descriptive study
- Pharmacogenomic profile of oral anticoagulants in collaboration with Department of pharmacology
- Prehospital patient management profile in acute strokes in collaboration with Emergency Medicine department
- Clinical profile of a cohort of atrial fibrillation patients in collaboration with Department of Medicine and Cardiology.
- Quality of life in stroke patients: In collaboration with nursing college, JIPMER
- Tilt table variations in Transcranial Doppler parameters in ischemic stroke patients: A case-control study
- Adherence to oral anticoagulants in secondary stroke prevention
- Randomized controlled trial to compare the effect of coupled transcranial stimulation versus decoupled transcranial stimulation and sham stimulation as motor enhancement therapy in chronic ischemic stroke cases.
- Peripheral Nerve Injury: Suturing or Scaffold? An in vivo study followed by a clinical trial
c) Grants obtained (Intramural and extramural)
- CMR grant for Indian stroke Research Network (InSTRUCT and SPRINT)
- CSIR grant for postdoctoral fellowship in peripheral nerve injury
- DST-SEB grant for postdoctoral fellowship in “Effect of Vedic chants in Autism” study
- Comparison of safety and efficacy of amitriptyline and gabapentin in migraine prophylaxis randomized double blinded double dummy trial: Dr. Satish/Dr.Vaibhav Wadwekar
- Autism: Genetic, Spectral EEG and MRI study: Dr. Mohan/Dr. Sunil K Narayan
d) Patents applied for / awarded
Provisional patent was granted for “Combo-Tube” for coma care for a project from Neurology Department by Dr. Bototo Deb, Medical Student under the guidance of Dr. Sunil K Narayan, Senior Professor of Neurology.
e) Publications--Indexed Journals
- Nair PP, Menon RN, Radhakrishnan A, Cherian A, Abraham M, Vilanilam G, Kesavadas C, Thomas B, Alexander A, Thomas SV. Is 'burned-out hippocampus' syndrome a distinct electro-clinical variant of MTLE-HS syndrome? Epilepsy Behav.2017 Apr;69:53-58.
- Chandrasekharan SC, Menon V, Wadwekar V, Nair PP. High Frequency of Depressive Symptoms among Adults with Epilepsy: Results from a Hospital-based Study. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2017 Aug;8(Suppl 1):S13-S19
- Venkatesh M, Chakkalakkoombil SV, Nair PP, Sowkar UB. Idiopathic bilateral hypertrophic olivary degeneration. BMJ Case Rep. 2017 Dec 22.2017
- Chakkalakkoombil SV, Venkatesh M, Nair PP, Sowkar UB. Intradiploic cephalocele: a rare entity at a rare site. BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Jan 10
- Menon D, Menon RN, Kesavadas C, Mahadevan A, Radhakrishnan A, Kannoth S, Nair PP, Abraham M, Thomas B, Thomas SV. Clinical-radiological-pathological correlation in an unusual case of refractory epilepsy: a two-year journey of who dunit! Epileptic Disord. 2018 Feb 1;20(1):51-59.
- Elavarasi A, Dash D, Bhatia R, Warrier A, Jain D, Kumar L et al. Spinal cord involvement in primary CNS lymphoma. J Clin Neurosci (2017), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2017.10.027
- Elavarasi A, Dash D,Tripathi M, et al. Cerebellar ataxia and neuropathy as presenting features of hepatitis-B related cirrhosis and portal hypertension. BMJ Case Rep doi:10.1136/bcr-2017-221912
- Naik RD, Gupta K, Soneja M, Elavarasi A, Sreenivas V, Sinha S. Sleep quality and quantity in intensive care unit patients: A cross-sectional study. Indian J Crit Care Med 2018;22:408-14
- Elavarasi A, Goyal V, Vishnu VY, Singh MB, Padma MV. Pediatric Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: A case series. Indian J Pediatr (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2536-5
- Kadeeja N, Senthilnathan N, Viswanathan S, Aghoram R. Sporadic hypothyroidism-related hypokalemic paralysis: Diagnosis in resource-poor setting. J Family Med Prim Care 2017; 6(4):862-64
- Sethuraman VK, Balasubramanian K, Viswanathan S, Aghoram R. Inadvertent skipping of steroids in septic shock leads to a diagnosis of adult onset stills disease. Cureus 2017; 9(1):e978
- Gokhroo RK, Anantharaj A, Bisht D, Kishor K, Plakkal N, Aghoram R, Mondal N, Pandey SK, Roy R. A pediatric echocardiographic Z-score nomogram for a developing country: Indian pediatric echocardiography study - The Z-score. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2017;10(1):31-38
- Palugulla S, Dkhar SA, Kayal S, Narayan SK. Oxaliplatin-induced Peripheral Neuropathy in South Indian Cancer Patients: A Prospective Study in Digestive Tract Cancer Patients. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2017; 38(4):502-507.
- Palugulla S, Thakkar DN, Kayal S, Narayan SK, Dkhar SA. Association of Voltage-Gated Sodium Channel Genetic Polymorphisms with Oxaliplatin-Induced Chronic Peripheral Neuropathy in South Indian Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017;18(11):3157-3165.
- Laskar AM, Bhat P, Pottakkat B, Narayan S, Sastry AS, Sneha R. A multimodal intervention to improve hand hygiene compliance in a tertiary care center. pii: S0196-6553(17)31358-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.12.017. [Epub ahead of print]
- Palugulla S, Devaraju P, Kayal S, Narayan SK, Mathaiyan J. Genetic polymorphisms in cyclin H gene are associated with oxaliplatin-induced acute peripheral neuropathy in south Indian digestive tract cancer patients. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. pii: S0196-6553(17)31358-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.12.017. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tiruppur C, Ramakrishan R, Somasundaram K, Narayan SK et al. Efficacy and safety of intravenous tenecteplase bolus in acute ischemic stroke: Results of two open label, Multicenter trial. American Journal of cardiovascular drugs.
Publications -- Non-indexed Journals
Book Chapters/Conference Proceedings
- Pradeep P Nair- Status epilepticus in special situations; In status epilepticus practical guidelines in management Ed Ashalatha Radhakrishnan (Jaypee):
- Sivakumar R, Jayaraj M , Pradeep P Nair:Reflex epilepsy syndromes: in Pediatric epilepsy sundrome Ed Ashalatha Radhakrishnan(Jaypee)