Department of Medical Education
The department of Medical Education has been acclaimed as the pioneer in medical teacher training which was established to promote the training of health professionals in educational science and technology, apply systematic educational planning to medical education and conduct educational research. The Department of Medical Education has been conducting the National Course on Educational Science for Teachers of Health Professionals since 1976. The department is committed for national capacity building in medical education by conducting faculty development programmes such as the National Course on Educational Science for Teachers of Health Professionals, MCI Revised Basic Course Workshop (RBCW) in Medical Education Technologies, MCI Attitude Ethics and Communication Module (AETCOM) and Curriculum Implementation Support Programme (CISP). The Medical Council of India (MCI) has recognized the Department of Medical Education as a Regional Centre for Faculty Development Programmes in Medical Education in June 2015 for training faculty members from twenty-four medical colleges across Puducherry and Tamilnadu.
In addition to the above, the department of medical education conducts annual programmes such as Training Course on Medical Education for Senior Residents, Interns Orientation Programme on Quality Care, Postgraduate Orientation Programme on Research Methodology (for first year and final year postgraduates) and Foundation Course for first-year MBBS students. The department academically supports the Nursing College by deputing its faculty to teach Nursing Education Paper for MSc (Nursing) students every year since 2010.
The department provides guidance and consultancy to medical education units of medical colleges allotted by MCI and to the AIIMS institutions by participating as resource persons for activities planned by those units. The skills lab in the Department of Medical Education provides hands-on training for the faculty, students and residents in simulation-based education for developing clinical and decision-making skills. The department undertakes action research in various areas of medical education, including curriculum development. The department collects annual feedback from the MBBS students and submits the same to the office of the Dean (Academic) for further action.
To make the Department of Medical Education a National Centre for Health Profession Education.
To promote excellence in faculty development for quality medical education and professionalism.
- To serve as a central department to monitor the teaching, learning and assessment processes of the Institute and ensure scholarship in teaching and learning (through observation, feedback, analysis, action plan, implementation, etc.).
- Recommend policies and provide educational solutions to ensure the standard of teaching-learning, assessment and evaluation and student support services.
- Support periodic review of the curriculum.
- Provide teaching assistance in imparting educational science for medical, nursing, and allied health sciences students.
- Provide educational consultancy to the administration in the selection of students and the organization of their learning experience.
- Conduct professional development programmes.
- Support research in medical education.
- Provide training and consultancy services to other universities and medical institutions on academic leadership.
- Establish local, regional, national and international collaboration for capacity building
- Documentation of the department of medical education activities to facilitate the accreditation process.
To provide Educational & Training Programmes in Educational Technology to faculty, residents and students of health profession.
- Ananthakrishnan, KR Sethuraman, Santoshkumar. Medical Education - Principles and Practice - Second Edition - Medical Education – Principles and Medical Education – Principles and Practice – a reference book published by JIPMER NTTC Alumni Association and popular among the Medical Teachers is available for sale. Interested medical teachers and institutions may send a crossed DD for Rs.325/- (including postal charges) in favour of Alumni Association of NTTC, JIPMER, payable at SBI, Puducherry, towards the cost of a single book to Secretary, JIPMER NTTC Alumni Association, C/o. Dept. of Medical Education, JIPMER, Puducherry-605 006.
- Zayapragassarazan, Z; Kumar, S; Kadambari, D; Dineshkumar, V (2020): Effective Educational Practices in Health Profession Education (A Collection of Educational Projects Completed by NTTC Alumni from 2006 to 2013). figshare. Book. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.12458423.v1
- Interns Orientation Programme Manual Click Here
- PG Orientation Programme Manual Click Here
- Tamil for Medicos Click Here
- MEDUCON Abstract Book
- NTTC Bulletin