Department of Medical Education
The department of Medical Education has been acclaimed as the pioneer in the field of medical teacher training which was established to promote training of health professionals in educational science and technology and to apply systematic educational planning to medical education and to conduct educational research. The Department of Medical Education has been conducting the National Course on Educational Science for Teachers of Health Professionals since 1976. The department is committed for national capacity building in medical education by conducting faculty development programs such as National Course on Educational Science for Teachers of Health Professionals, MCI Revised Basic Course Workshop (RBCW) in Medical Education Technologies, MCI Attitude Ethics and Communication Module (AETCOM) and Curriculum Implementation Support Program (CISP). The Medical Council of India (MCI) has recognized the Department of Medical Education as a Regional Centre for Faculty Development Programmes in Medical Education in June 2015 for training faculty members from twenty four medical colleges across Puducherry and Tamilnadu.
In addition to the above, the department of medical education conducts annual programmes such as Training Course on Medical Education for Senior Residents, Interns Orientation Programme on Quality Care, Postgraduate Orientation Programme on Research Methodology (for first year and final year postgraduates) and Foundation Course for first year MBBS students. The department academically supports the Nursing College by deputing its faculty to teach Nursing Education Paper for MSc (Nursing) students every year since 2010.
The department provides guidance and consultancy to medical education units of medical colleges allotted by MCI and to the AIIMS institutions by participating as resource persons for activities planned by those units. The skills lab in the Department of Medical Education provides hand-on training for the faculty, students and residents in simulation-based education for developing clinical and decision-making skills. The department undertakes action research in various areas of medical education including curriculum development. The department collects annual feedback from the MBBS students and submits the same to the office of the Dean (Academic) for further action.
To make the Department of Medical Education as a National Centre for Health Profession Education.
To promote excellence in faculty development for quality medical education and professionalism.
- To serve as a central department to monitor the teaching, learning and assessment processes of the Institute and ensure scholarship in teaching and learning (through observation, feedback, analysis, action plan, implementation, etc.).
- Recommend policies and provide educational solutions to ensure standard of teaching learning, assessment and evaluation and student support services.
- Support periodic review of curriculum.
- Provide teaching assistance in imparting educational science for students of medical, nursing and allied health sciences.
- Provide educational consultancy to the administration in the selection of students and in the organization of their learning experience.
- Conduct professional development programmes.
- Support research in medical education.
- Provide training and consultancy services to other universities and medical institutions on academic leadership.
- Establish local, regional, national and international collaboration for capacity building
- Document/maintain database to facilitate accreditation process.
Educational & Training Programmes in Medical Education
- Foundation Course for first year MBBS, BSc., (AHS), BSc., (Nursing)
- Interns Orientation Program on Quality Care for MBBS (January & July)
- Nursing Education for M.Sc., Nursing
- First Year Postgraduate Orientation programme on Research, Ethics, Communication & Quality Care for MD/MS & DM/MCh
- Orientation Programme on Research Methodology for M.Sc., MPH., (twice a year)
- Third year Postgraduate Orientation Programme on Research Methodology & Scientific Writing (twice a year)
- Training in Medical Education Technologies for Senior Residents (once a year)
- Offsite workshop in Medical Education Technologies for the Mentee Institutions (AIIMS)
- Short faculty development workshops
- Tamil for Medicos (Tamil Language Learning Programme)
- Curriculum Development Programmes
- Continuing Nursing Education
- MCI Basic Course Workshop in Medical Education Technologies (Four courses per year)
- MCI Sensitization Programme on AETCOM Module (Attitude, Ethics and Communication Module) (Four courses per year)
- MCI Curriculum Implementation Support Programme (CISP).
- National Course on Educational Science for Teachers of Health Professionals (February & September)
Office email: nttc[dot]jipmer[at]gmail[dot]com
Phone: 2272380 Ext: 8582