Department of Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry, JIPMER was established in the year 1957. The first officers of the department were Dr. Mademoiselle D. Labie and Dr. M. K. Ramanathan, Reader. The teaching programmes of the department were initiated with the following courses: MBBS (1957), BSc [MLT] (1975), MD [Biochemistry] (1965), MSc [Medical Biochemistry] (1965) and Ph.D. [Medical Biochemistry] (1964). Investigations in the clinical biochemistry laboratory were started in 1965. Since its inception, the department has flourished focusing on three core aspects: Teaching, Patient care services and Research. The department has the state of the art clinical chemistry laboratory and equipment available 24 hours for patient care services. Weekly patient care review and quality audit meetings are held to continuously improve upon patient care service.
The full time teaching faculty educate and train students of various courses MBBS, MSc, BSc (Medical Lab Technology), BSc (Allied Health Sciences), BSc (Nursing) and PhD programs. Department of Biochemistry has been in the forefront of research in JIPMER. Several research activities are carried out with both intramural as well as extramural funding. Several research projects funded by ICMR, CSIR, BARC and UGC have been successfully completed in this department. Faculty members are resource persons for various activities at the local, regional and national level organizations. Faculty and students of Biochemistry have regularly been receiving awards for their research work and publications in various National and International fora.Last Updated :07-Jan-2023