Observership and Elective training
Guidelines for Elective Training of Foreign Undergraduate Medical Students
Elective training is offered only to Foreign Undergraduate MBBS students. The aim of thetraining is to expose them to the Indian hospital setup and training environment. It is alsoexpected to encourage socio-cultural exchange among students.
- Elective training is available only to foreign undergraduate students (MBBS or MDdepending on the country) who are currently pursuing the course.
- Permission and reference letter from the applicant’s Medical college/University isrequired.
- Student visa is mandatory for the applicants interested in elective training and an activehealth/medical insurance is mandatory before commencing the elective training
- Students holding Indian citizenship/Passport, students in universities or colleges inIndia, and Indian Nationals who are studying in foreign medical colleges are noteligible.
Duration of elective training:
The duration of such elective training will be a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 3(three) months.
- The applicants should write to the Dean (Academic), JIPMER with the following at the address below:
- Duly filled-in application form (3 original copies)
- Self-attested copy of passport (3 original copies).
- A Recommendation letter from the Dean or the Head of the applicant’suniversity/institution (3 original copies), supporting the applicant’s candidature for theelective training and confirming eligibility.
A bank draft for application fee.
The Dean (Academic),
JIPMER Academic Centre,JIPMER,
Dhanvantari Nagar PO.,
Application and training fees:
Applications should be accompanied by a bank draft for US$ 125 (non-refundable) in favourof Dean (Academic), JIPMER and drawn on State Bank of India, JIPMER Branch, DhanvantariNagar, Puducherry (IFSC Code: SBIN0002238, SWIFT Code: SBININBB228).
Once the permission for elective training is granted, the applicant will have to pay a trainingfee in Indian rupees equivalent to 200 US Dollars for the first month (or part thereof) followedby 100 US Dollars for each subsequent month(s), at the time of joining.
Approval and permission:
Upon receiving the applicant’s documents and processing fee, the application will beprocessed and forwarded to the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, New Delhifor obtaining its mandatory permission for elective training. JIPMER does not requirepermission from the National Medical Commission of India.
Applications must be submitted at least six months before the proposed period of electivetraining. The applicant will be informed as soon as the permission has been granted.
- During the training period, applicants may only observe but are not permitted to performor be involved in any patient-care related activities.
- The choice of departments preferred for posting by the trainees should be mentioned intheir application form. There is also availability of postings in the Rural health centre.
- The trainees are expected to arrange their own accommodation. Hostel room may beoffered subject to availability and on payment basis, as per the rules and regulations inforce.
- Trainees should wear formal clothes and a white coat while attending the elective posting.5. The Institute will NOT provide any financial assistance under any circumstances. Theapplication must disclose details of the source of funding for the visit/training.
Dean (Academic)Guidelines and application for Elective Training of Foreign Undergraduate Medical Students Download (129.57 KB)