History & Milestones
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) can trace its origins to the ‘Ecole de Medicine de Pondicherry’ established by the French Government in 1823.
The college was located in the modified buildings of the High Court, which is now the Legislative Assembly Hall.
In 1956, The Ambassador of France laid the foundation stone of our ‘new’ medical college that was located on the outskirts of Pondicherry town.
In the wake of the ‘de facto’ transfer of Pondicherry to the Government of India, the college was briefly named Dhanvantri Medical College, before being upgraded to a Regional Postgraduate Centre under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (DGHS), Government of India and renamed JIPMER.
The then President of India Dr. S. Radhakrishnan inaugurated the hospital and the outpatient buildings on 13 July 1964.
In July 2008, JIPMER was given the status of an Institution of National Importance by an Act of Parliament, on the lines of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh. The increase in financial outlay has been translated into an all-round development of the institution with an increase in the number of staff, students, and services.
On 15 October 2008, the former President of India, Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam along with Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss inaugurated the super-specialty block, the trauma care center, and the auditorium and dedicated JIPMER to the nation as an institution of national importance.
The present expansion of JIPMER (Phase II) has seen the development of the JIPMER Women and Children’s Hospital, the JIPMER Academic Centre, the new hostel complex for undergraduates and postgraduates and a common wellness center including a gymnasium, dining hall and other amenities.