This charter is made to provide a framework which enables our users to know:
what services are available in this Institute,
the quality of services they are entitled to,
the means through which complaints regarding denial or poor quality of service will be redressed.
Standards of Service:
This is a referral Institution.
It provides medical care to all patients who come to this Institute and trains the medical students. (both undergraduate and postgraduate).
Standards are influenced by patient load and availability of resources, which are generally under strain. Yet it gives all courteous and prompt attention to our users.
This Institution has
Doctors: 497 (including Residents: 361)
Nurses: 578 (including Supervisory staff)
Beds: 860 (including special ward beds 64)
Doctors wear white aprons and Nurses are in uniform. All staff wear a badge or Identification Card of JIPMER.
-Location Guide Map is available and directional signs boards are fixed in each floor.
-Enquiries counter exists at the Reception Counter.
-A Medico Social Worker helps the patients at OPD entrance.
-The Reception Counter functions round the clock; its phone number 0413- 227238 - 89(10 lines).
Casualty and Emergency Services:
-The Casualty functions round clock all days.
-Casualty Medical Officer and Resident doctors are available 24 hours all days.
-Duty Doctors are available round the clock in major specialities viz. Medicine, Surgery, Orthopedics, Paediatrics and Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
-Duty Doctors are available on call in Anaesthesia, Radiology, Plastic Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT and in other specialities.
-Consultants in Medicine, Surgery, Orthopedics Surgery, Obst. & Gynecology and other specialities are available on call.
-The decision to call a consultant is that of the treating doctor.
-The Head of the Department of concerned speciality is monitoring the responses of the call on emergencies.
-Emergency cases are attended promptly.
-All the items required are made available during mass casualties.
-In serious cases, priority is given to treatment / management than paper work like registration and medico-legal cases. The decision rests with the treating doctor.
-Emergency operation theatre is maintained on a regular basis to ensure that it is usable at all times.
-Timings: 8 AM till the last patient is seen (except Sundays and Holidays)
-Every Out Patient seeking treatment at the hospital is registered and issued a case sheet for recording history, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment being provided.
-Boards indicating unit on duty on various days are displayed at the reception.
Special clinics are available in the following specialities:
Affective Disorder Clinic
Cardiology Chest Clinic
Child Guidance Clinic Club Foot
Follow-up clinic Pediatrics
Follow-up clinic Schizophrenia
Follow-up clinic Skin
Infertility I.E.C. Clinic
Oncology Oral Surgery Clinic
Plastic Surgery Polio & Cerebral Palsy
P.M.T & Refraction Post Natal Clinic
Res. Allergy & App. Immunology
Thoracic Surgery Under Five Clinic
Urology U.T.I. Clinic.
Timings: 2.00 PM to 4.30 PM
A Central Laboratory is located in O.P.D.
Timings: 8.30 AM to 1.00 PM
Emergency laboratory (Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology and Microbiology) 24 hours all days.
Each ward has a side laboratory.
Week Days 9.00 A.M. to 4.30 P.M.
Saturdays 9.00 A.M. to 1.00 P.M.
Sundays and Holidays closed.
Collection of Specimens:
Week Days 9.00 A.M. to 11.00 A.M.
Saturdays 9.00 A.M. to 10.00 A.M.
Sundays and other Holidays closed.
Reports are made available within the shortest possible time which will be specified.
A Licensed Blood Bank is available in the hospital to cater to the requirements of the patients.
All blood is tested for HIV, HBV and HCV, in addition.
Equipment and Facilities Available:
This hospital has the following services available:
CRITICAL CARE UNIT
PHYSIOTHERAPY AND OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY UNIT
Charges for various tests are available with the Sister-in-charge of wards. For poor patients, these charges can be fully waived off by the Medical Superintendent. If any major/essential equipment is out of order, information regarding the same is displayed.
- Wheel Chairs and stretchers are available on request at the gate of OPD & Casualty for use of patients who are not in a position to walk.
- Lifts are available for access to higher floors.
- There is a stand-by generator to cater to emergency services in case of break-down of electricity.
- Public Telephone Booths are available at various locations in the hospitals.
- Adequate drinking water and toilet facilities are available.
- A chemist shop (Amudasurabi) is located in the hospital premises which is open from 9 AM to 6 PM all days.
- The hospital has a rest room for those OPD patients who require to come again next day. Two day shelters (one at main gate, another by the side of Casualty) and one night shelter, for attendants are available.
- There is a cloak room facility for the patients to keep their own clothes, etc.
- Hospital provides linen to wear for all admitted patients.
- Patient Library and TV facilities are available for in-patients.
Complaints and Grievances:
There will be occasions when our services will not be upto your expectations.
Please do not hesitate to register your complaint. It will only help us serve you better. There is a designated medical officer whose name and location is displayed in the hospital for attending to all grievances. The Deputy Medical
Superintendent is the Grievance Officer. Every grievance will be duly acknowledged.
We aim to settle your genuine complaints within 10 working days of its receipt. If we cannot, we will explain the reasons and the time we will take to resolve. A public grievance committee exists in DGHS on issues which are not re-solved within the hospital.
Responsibilities of the User:
- The success of this charter depends on the support we receive from our users.
- Please try to appreciate the various constraints under which the hospital is functioning.
- On an average, 4500 patients attend the OPD daily and about 450 patients are attended to daily in the Casualty and Emergency Wards.
- Please do not inconvenience other patients.
- Please help us in keeping the hospital and its surroundings neat and clean.
- Please use the facilities of this hospital with care.
- Beware of Touts.
- Please refrain from demanding undue favours from the staff and officials.
- Please provide useful feedback and constructive suggestions.
- For keeping dead bodies, 9 compartments are available in the JIPMER Hospital Mortuary.
- For deaths occurring in paying wards in A & B class and bodies brought from other Nursing Homes etc. along with valid death certificate, the rate per day is Rs.300/-.
- Rs. 150/- per day is charged for General Ward death cases, whose income is Rs.2500/- and above.
- General Ward death cases, all medico-legal death cases, staff of JIPMER and their dependents as per the information available with the administration and students are exempted from charges.
- The maximum number of days permissible to keep the dead body in the mortuary is restricted to only 3 days.