HOSPITAL INFECTION CONTROL COMMITTEE (HICC), JIPMER
In order to provide better and safer hospital facilities for its patients and personnel, JIPMER has adopted a programme of infection control called as ‘hospital infection control programme’ involving all sections of the hospital community.
The hospital infection control programme is organized and run by the Medical Superintendent
(MS), JIPMER for which he constitutes the Hospital Infection Control Committee(HICC).
The HICC is advisory to the MS and makes its recommendations to the MS.
Hospital Infection Control Committee (HICC) of JIPMER provides a forum for multidisciplinary input and cooperation and information sharing. The members are as follows
The following are the members of Hospital Infection Control Committee (HICC), JIPMER.
1. ) Chairperson : Dr J.Balachander, Medical Superintendent (JIPMER)
2.) Member Secretary: Dr B.N.Harish, HOD microbiology
3.) Dr Anita Rustogi, Additional Medical Superintendent (JIPMER)
4.) HODs of all clinical departments & HOD of Pathology
- HOD, Department of Medicine,
- HOD, Department of Surgery,
- HOD, Department of ENT,
- HOD, Department of Ophthalmology,
- HOD, Department of Dermatology,
- HOD, Department of Orthopaedics,
- HOD, Department of Paediatrics,
- HOD, Department of Obs&gyn,
- HOD, Department of Anaesthesiology,
- HOD, Department of Neuromedicine,
- HOD, Department of Neurosurgery,
- HOD, Department of Plastic Surgery,
- HOD, Department of Paediatric Surgery,
- HOD, Department of Urology,
- HOD, Department of Nephrology,
- HOD, Department of CTVS,
- HOD, Department of Cardiology,
- HOD, Department of Endocrinology,
- HOD, Department of Immunology,
- HOD, Department of Surgical Oncology,
- HOD, Department of Medical Oncology,
- HOD, Department of Surgical Gastroenterology,
- HOD, Department of Medical Gastroenterology,
- HOD, Department of Pulmonary Medicine,
- Department of Psychiatry,
- Department of E.M.S.D,
5.) In-charges of
- Super speciality Block (SSB),
- Emergency Medicine Service(EMS),
- Women and Child Hospital (WCH),
- Regional Cancer Centre (RCC)
- PMRC (Physiotherapy and Medical Rehabilitation Centre)
6.) Chief Nursing Officer
- Ms Vasantha Ponnambalam
7.) Nursing Superintendents
- Ms Shanthi Thamilmani
- Ms Sankarieswari
8.) Deputy Nursing Superintendents
- Ms Santhi Shanmugam
- Ms Murugeswari
- Ms Latha
- Ms Pushpalatha
- Ms Sasiprabha
- Ms Neelavathy
- Ms Vennila T
- Ms Rathinamala
- Ms Annama Mathew
- Ms Selva saroja
- Ms L Saroja
9.) Hospital Infection control officer (HICO)- Dr Apurba Sankar Sastry, Assistant Professor, Microbiology
10.) Hospital Infection control nurses (HICN)
- Mrs Rani Thamizharasan
- Mrs Ruth Lilly
- Mrs Djiva Azhwar
- Mr Thirumavarasu G.
- Mrs Rajalakshmi Garnett
- Mrs J Radjalatchoumy
- Mrs Lathika Gladson
- Mrs vijitha V
- Mr Mohammad Aslam
- Ms Mehertaz Begum
11.) Biomedical waste management in-charge- Dr. N. Balachandar
12.) Needle stick injury reporting in-charge- Dr Abdul Hamide, Prof. of Medicine
13.) CSSD(Central Sterile Supply Department) in-charge – Dr. Sugumar
14.) Linen and Landry in-charge- Dr Stevan A.Dkhar, Professor, Pharmacology
15.) Central store in-charge- Dr Rajan Swain
16.) Notifiable disease reporting- in-charge -Dr Sitansu Kar, Associate Professor, PSM
17.) Engineer representative
18.) Pharmacy in-charge- Dr R. Raveendran, Professor, Pharmacology
19.) JQC Nosocomial Group representative- Dr Noyal Mariya Joseph, Assistant Professor,Microbiology
20.) Sanitary Superintendent- Mr JesuRajan
21.) Kitchen in-charge
Activities of HICC
The HICC will supervise the implementation of the hospital infection control programme.
Specifically, the committee shall:
- Educating JIPMER nurses, MBBS students, intern, residents and other staffs about principles of infection control and stressing individual responsibility for Infection Control.
- Hospital Acquired Infection (HAI) Surveillance- Develops a system for identifying, reporting, analysing, investigation and controlling hospital acquired infections.
- Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Surveillance
- Environmental Surveillance (Air, Water, Surface- OTs/ICUs and other high risk area
- Staff skin flora Surveillance
- To check for sterilization & disinfection practices in JIPMER
- In-use test of disinfectants
- Outbreak Investigation-
- Continuous surveillance of infections for early detection of outbreak for which, appropriate control measures are undertaken.
- Surveillance of any community outbreak viz. Dengue, meningitis, diphtheria, meningococcemia etc. to prevent spread within the hospital amongst health care workers.
- Monitoring Hospital Biomedical Waste Management- In collaboration with the Biomedical Waste Management department, HICC aims at monitoring the waste segregation and disposal system
- Auditing- HICC conducts regular audits for various aspects such as
- Hand Hygiene audit
- BMW (Biomedical Waste Management) audit
- Needle Stick Injury Reporting System- In collaboration with Dr Abdul Hamide,Professor of Medicine and Department of Microbiology, HICC regularly monitors the Needle stick Injury reporting system which involves
- Reporting of Needle stick Injuries
- Testing the sera of health care workers and the source for HIV/HBV/HCV.
- Timely administration of appropriate ART if needed
- Staff Health Care Activities- are carried out with the objectives:
- Vaccinating all the staffs/students (especially freshly recruited) of JIPMER with Hepatitis B vaccine
- Regular check of Anti HBs antibody titre of all the staffs/students of JIPMER.
- Attending all needle stick injured staffs and taking preventive measures- as described above
- Monitoring and investigating potentially harmful infectious exposures and outbreaks among hospital staffs
- Continuous training and ongoing education is carried out for freshly recruited staffs/students.
- Identifying work-related infection risks and instituting appropriate preventive measures.
- Monitors the proper use of antibiotics, develops antibiotic policies and recommend remedial measures when antibiotic resistant strains are detected.
- Reporting of Notifiable Diseases with collaboration with department of PSM.
- Prepare the manuals for hospital infection control as well as antimicrobial guideline and review and update hospital infection control policies and procedures from time to time.
Meets regularly not less than once a month and as often as required.