The department of Orthopaedic Surgery is functioning since the inception of JIPMER.
- OPD services are available on all days except Sundays and other JIPMER holidays at No: 64 at the old OPD block on the ground floor.
- Inpatient Services : The department has 64 sanctioned in-patient beds located in the ground and first floor of the PMRC block, which is just adjacent to the OPD. In addition it caters to in patients admitted to emergency wards and special wards.
- Emergency orthopaedic services are provided round the clock
- Units: The department functions as two clinical units with Unit I in OPD on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Unit II is available in OPD on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Special clinics run by the department include Clubfoot clinic (every Wednesday), Cerebral palsy/ poliomyelitis clinic (every Tuesday) and Bone tumor clinic (every 2nd and 4th Friday).
- Surgical facilities Available surgical facilities in the department are:
Trauma surgery for routine and complex trauma including spinal injuries (state of the art internal fixation techniques are used); Correction of congenital and acquired deformities using complex corrective procedures like Ilizarov technique;Hip and knee total joint replacement; primary and revision Knee arthroscopy and Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction;Limb salvage reconstruction after bone tumor resections (custom mega prostheses); resection and extracorporeal irradiation and reimplantation for malignant bone tumours(only centre in India carrying out this procedure); Spinal surgeries like antero-lateral decompression, anterior decompression, discectomy, posterior instrumentation and fusion for spondylolisthesis; Poliomyelitis and cerebral palsy corrective procedures. Treatment of complex congenital anomalies
The department is among a few institutions in the country which has a BONE BANK which uses Ethylene Oxide (ETO) sterilized allograft bone.
The department runs a post graduate programme with 6 MS candidates per year. In addition it takes part in Institute’s undergraduate MBBS, BSc (Medical Records), B.Sc (Nursing), Bsc OT technician course and Emergency Trauma Technician Course.
The department also runs the ATLS course at JIPMER