Addl.Prof. & Head
Pradeep P Nair MD DM
Sunil K Narayan MD DM DNB PhD FRCP
Vaibhav Wadwekar MD DM
Dr.Rajeswari Aghroam MD DM
BACKGROUND INFORMATION OF THE DEPARTMENT
After short periods of leadership under Dr.L.C.Takur and Dr. Kuljith Singh Anand, the department has had a steady stewardship under Dr.Sunil K Narayan, who joined as associate professor of Neurology in 2000 May and made slow and steady progress. Dr Narayan has been ably assisted by Dr. Ram Niranjan Sahoo, as a Chief Medical Officer from 2003. During the period from 2000-2009, the department functioned in the main hospital block, with 8 inpatient beds and two weekly clinics but acquired state-of-the art equipment such as digital video-EEG machine, transcranial Doppler, digital ENMG/EP and carotid colour duplex scanner. The Department acquired laboratory technicians; one each for EEG (2004), ENMG (2007) and the neurovascular (2009) lab.
In 2004, two (Undegraduate and Postgraduate) annual gold medal examinations were started in Neurology. With the laboratory assisted patient care and research activities of the department gathering momentum, Dr.Narayan guided about 15 MD students and 3 PhD students as co-guide and 4 ICMR students in Neurology related topics
In 2009 April, after the shift to the Super Speciality block, the department received a quantum leap in its facilities. It started acute stroke care services including r-tPA thrombolytic therapy and other stroke interventions and clinical trials and is supported by a competent neurosurgery team, modern imaging tools for the Nervous system such as MRI scanners, CT scanners, Digital subtraction angiography and SPECT scanners and interventions for neuroimmunological disorders. We have embarked on our future plans to set up comprehensive neurovascular, epilepsy care, neurogenetics and neurobionics programmes.
A. Post Doctoral courses
• Department of Neurology admitted the third batch of students in DM course in Neurology. Seats: 2 per year
• Department co-guides PhD students in Pharmacology, physiology and Microbiology
B• B.Sc., Neurotechnology: course started in 2011 with an intake of 4 students per year. We are the first in the country to start Neurotechnology as a comprehensive B.Sc., course.
• B.Sc., Nursing: Department takes part in the Neurology training of students through didactic lectures in Neuroscience topics
B. Postgraduate courses
• We conduct Dr.Chandrasekhar Gold Medal Examinations for MD Medicine, Paediatrics and Psychiatry students
. MD postgraduate students of JIPMER in Internal Medicine and Psychiatry undergo clinical rotations in Neurology.
• Faculty in Neurology guide/co-guide MD thesis of postgraduates in Neurologically relevant topics for MD Medicine, Psychiatry , Physiology, Pharmacology currently
D. Short term learning
Tropical Neurology training: One Medical student from King's College, London underwent one month observership in Neurology in 2012-2013.
Two BTech engineering students in Biotechnology completed their research projects in Neurology in 2012-2013.
• Two Neurophysiotherapy postgraduate students from Mother Theresa Institute of paramedical sciences, Pondicherry underwent training in Neurology
• One batch of final year B.Sc., nursing students were given didactic lectures and underwent rotations in Neurology
• Two Students of Medical records training course received didactic lectures and underwent training in Neurology topics
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION
The department conducted the following CMEs and Workshop during the year 2011-12:
• One-day CME on Update in Stroke on 29th October 2011 in connection with World Stroke Day. The following talks
• 1. Tissue, Time and Thrombolysis: Dr. Archana, AB; PhD, National Centre for Biosciences, Bangalore
• 2. Vascular interventions in stroke: A hands on update: Dr. Santhosh Joseph, Professor and Head of Radiodiagnosis, Sree Ramachandra Medical College, Porur
• 3. Emerging risk factors in stroke 1: Role of homocysteine: Dr. Sunil K Narayan, Professor of Neurology, JIPMER.
• 4. Emerging risk factors in stroke 2: Obstructive sleep apnoea: Dr. Srijithesh PR, Assistant Professor of Neurology, JIPMER.
• One-day CME on Update in Multiple Sclerosis in connection with World Multiple Sclerosis Day on 25thst May 2011. Dr. Vaibhav Wadhekar, assistant professor of Neurology organized a quiz programme for postgraduate medical students and an elocution competition was held for BSc nursing students . The following talks were delivered
• Introduction to Multiple Sclerosis and Allied Sciences. Indian and global scenario: Dr. Sunil K Narayan
• Overview of management of Multiple Sclerosis for patients and caregivers: Prof. V. Natarajan, Institute of Neurology, Chennai
• Annual National conference of the Indian Academy of Neurology:
1. Dr.Sunil Narayan, Professor and Head of the Department chaired the session on Best platform presentation in Neurology at the 19th Annual National conference of the Indian Academy of Neurology, held in Pune from 22nd to 25th September 2011. Dr. Srijithesh PR assistant Professor was also a delegate at the meeting.
2. Papers presented:
o Narayan Sunil, Sharma Praveenkumar, Sharma Sushma, Murgai Aditya, Vangapandu Nirmala, Dhanapathi Halanaik and Ramesh Ananthakrishnan. SPECT imaging in Ischemic stroke correlated to Clinical subtypes, CT imaging. 19th Annual conference of Indian Academy of Neurology 2011, Abstracted in Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, Dec 2011. PL 156.
o Aditya Murgai, Sushma Sharma, Sunil Narayan, Elangovan S Unique Magnetic resonance imaging features in hypoglycaemic encephalopathy 19th Annual conference of Indian Academy of Neurology 2011, Abstracted in Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, Dec 2011. Poster 49
o Sushma Sharma, Sunil Narayan. Springs in the desert: A rare case of Partial Ross Syndrome. 19th Annual conference of Indian Academy of Neurology 2011, Abstracted in Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, Dec 2011. Poster 19.
• World Congress of Neurology, Marrakesh, Moracco:
o Dr. Sunil Narayan presented the following paper. Narayan Sunil, Sharma Praveenkumar, Dhanapathi Halanaik and Ramesh Ananthakrishnan. Pattern of brain perfusion on SPECT imaging in Ischemic stroke correlated to clinical outcome. Abstract No. A-342-0009-00597. XX World Congress of Neurology 2011. Marrakesh, Moracco
• Dr. Sunil K Narayan was an invited faculty for the CME programme and delivered a talk on” Neurogenetics: An update”at the annual National conference of Neurological Society of India, NIMHANS, Bangalore, 16th to 19th December 2012:
• Dr. Sunil Narayan gave a talk on “Statins and stroke” on a one day seminar organized by the department of cardiology at JIPMER on 23.10.2011
• Dr. Sunil Narayan delivered a lecture on” From patient care to clinical Research” at the Workshop on Clinical Research for Clinical Investigators held on 21.10. 2011 organised by division of clinical pharmacology at JIPMER, Pondicherry
• Dr. Sunil Narayan delivered a talk on “Diabetes and Stroke: an update” at the DctCON 2011 held at Trichy in November 2011.
• Dr. Sunil Narayan chaired a session at the Myocon 2012, 21st to 22nd Jan 2012, Chennai.
• Dr. Sunil Narayan chaired a session at the ICNR 2012, International Conference on Neurology and Neurorehabilitation. 27th to 29th Jan 2012, Chennai.
• Dr. Sunil Narayan chaired a teaching clinical session.at SHINE 2012, Chennai held on 12th February 2012:
• Dr. Sunil Narayan chaired a session on “Inflammatory markers in stroke” at the annual Neurosciences India Group, Chennai meet held on 10th February 2012.
• Dr. Pradeep Nair, Assistant Professor of Neurology participated as a deligate. At NIH sponsored workshop on scientific paper writing December 8-11, 2011at Lucknow,:
• Dr. Pradeep Nair, Assistant Professor of Neurology participated as a delegate in the Preconference Workshop and conference at EPICON 2012(Epilepsy conference) held from February 23 to 26 at Kochi:.
• Dr.Srijithesh PR, assistant professor of Neurology and Dr. Aditya Murgai, senior resident, Neurology were delegates at Epidemiology and Research methodology workshops organized by the P&SM department:
• Srijithesh PR and Dr. Sunil Narayan were delegates at the Workshop on protocol development for Cochrane systemic review, CMC Vellore, February, 2012.
• Dr. Srijithesh PR and Dr. Praveen kumar Sharma were delegates at the workshop on Delhi Course on Neurointervention, New Delhi, March 2012:
A. CLINICAL TRIALS
1. Randomized double blind placebo controlled trial of Sodium ozagrel and Edaravone in acute ischemic stroke (EDOZ): Principal investigator: Dr. Sunil K Narayan (CTRI REF/2012/03/003334)
2. Effectiveness of Nitric Oxide in Stroke (ENOS): A multicentric international open labeled single blinded study-Principal investigator: Dr. Sunil K Narayan.
3. Comparison of efficacy of local corticosteroid injection into carpal tunnel : Distal Vs Proximal approaches in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome ,Randomized double blind non inferiority trial. Principal investigator: Dr. Pradeep Nair
4. A study to evaluate novel induction –de induction technique in patients with suspected Psychogenic Non epileptic seizure (PNES). Principal investigator: Dr. Pradeep Nair
B. OTHER RESEARCH WORKS:
1. Association of total plasma homocysteine, vitamin B12 and folic acid levels and MTHFR gene polymorphisms with ischemic strokes in Tamil population-Intramural research grants Principal investigator: Dr. Sunil Narayan.
2. Association of thrombophilic factors (Protein C, Protein S, Antithrombin III, Factor V Leyden and antiphospholipid antibodies) Principal investigator: Dr. Sunil Narayan
3. Effect of CYP2C19 and MDR1 genetic polymorphisms on antiplatelet effects of Clopidogrel in clinical settings : Co-guide, MD Pharmacology thesis: Dr. Sunil Narayan
4. Effect of CYP3A5 genetic polymorphisms on antiplatelet effects of Clopidogrel in patients on treatment with Clopidogrel : Co-guide, MD Pharmacology thesis: Dr. Sunil Narayan
5. Evaluation of Immunological and molecular methods in the rapid diagnosis of Herpes Simplex- Type 1 encephalitis: Co-guide, MD Microbiology thesis: Dr. Sunil Narayan
6. Evaluation of sleep disordered breathing using Polysomnography: Co-guide, MD Pulmonary Medicine thesis: Dr. Sunil Narayan
7. Predictors of intermediate syndrome in organophosphorus poisoning: Co-guide, MD Medicine thesis: Dr. Sunil Narayan
8. Identification of a diagnostic target by Phage display library for Neurocysticercosis: Co-guide, PhD Microbiology thesis: Dr. Sunil Narayan
9. Temporal Validity of Biochemical Platelet Responsiveness to Aspirin in Ischemic Stroke Patients: Dr. Srijithesh PR, Principal Investigator
10. Determinants of Delayed and Missed Diagnosis of Migraine: Dr. Srijithesh PR, Principal Investigator
11. Prevalence of Restless Legs Syndrome in Patients of Chronic Liver Disease. Dr. Vaibhav Wadhekar, Principal investigator
12. Somatosensory Evoked Potential Studies in patients of Tethered cord syndrome Dr. Vaibhav Wadhekar, co- investigator
13. Clinical pattern and survival analysis based on Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis functional rating scale –revised (ALSFRSr) scores and baseline characteristics in a south indian cohort of motor neuron disease patients: Dr. Aditya Murgai and Dr. Sunil Narayan
14. Determinants of Natural history in acquired central demyelinating diseases: A comparative study between multiple sclerosis, Neuromyelitis optica, relapsing ADEM and central nervous system Lupus: Dr. Nirmala Vangapandu and Dr. Sunil Narayan
15. Transcranial Doppler flow velocity measurements in cerebral vasculature: Reference values at rest and after breath holding in healthy volunteers : Dr. Sushma Sharma and Dr. Sunil Narayan
Equipments: Department has three VEEG machines, two ENMG-EP machines, one colour duplex-cum-Transcranial Doppler machine and one transcranial doppler machine.
Staff: One EEG, one ENMG, one doppler and one wet lab technician.
C. Community Work:
Department conducted a public awareness programme on “ Stroke care in community and special community homes” in connection with the World Stroke Day observation on 29.10.2010.
Department also conducted a public awareness programme on “Multiple Sclerosis” in connection with the World Multiple Sclerosis day
Department of Neurology with Neurosurgery conducted 6 medical camps in Karaikkal at the JIPMER outreach centre. This was attended by around 75 patients on average
AWARDS, HONOURS AND OTHER PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS
Dr.Sunil Narayan, Professor and Head of the department led a 4-member Indian team which won the first runner-up place at the “Tournament of Minds” held at the WCN, 2011. Dr. Rohit Bhatia, Dr.Pawan Ojha and Dr.Shripad Pujari were the other three members.
SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN THE DEPARTMENT
1. Department of Neurology observed a World Multiple Sclerosis Day on 25.05.2011
2. Department of Neurology observed World Stroke Day on 29.10.2011.
3. Department of Neurology started a randomized double-blind Clinical trial on Effectiveness of neuroprotective drugs in acute ischemic stroke.
4. Department started a new course, B.Sc., in Neurotechnology