Establishment of the department
The Department of Dietetics was established along with JIPMER hospital in the year 1966. It is one of the essential departments providing healthy and nutritious diet to all the in-patients as per the diet advice given by the concerned doctors. The department supplies both therapeutic and normal diet to the patients. Free diet is given to all patients admitted in the general wards and for pay wards a nominal amount of Rs. 30/- (Rupees thirty) per day is charged for the supply of diet.
The Dietetics Department is located in the eastern side of the campus in between the Pharmacy and the Central Stores. It is well connected with all the departments of the hospital which is helpful for easy distribution of diet to all wards.
List of equipments
The Department of Dietetics is equipped with state of the art cooking equipments like:
- Steam operated Cooking Ranges containing 12 numbers of boiling vessels
- Gas operated Cooking Ranges
- Exhausts for ventilation
- Fresh Air Machine
- Walk in Cold Storage – 2
- Vegetable Cutter – 2
- Steam Idly Cooker and Egg Boiler with 360 Idlys per set and 1000 eggs at a time – 1
- Wet Grinder – 2
- Electrical Milk Heater – 2
- Vegetable Peeler – 2
- Whipping Machine -1
- Tray Washing Machine – 1
Break Fast : Whole wheat bread / Pongal/ Rava kitchedi/ Wheat uppuma, Milk / coffee, butter/ Jam & boiled egg
10.00 A.M : Fruits, milk, sago payasam, veg.soup, chicken soup, sour lime, soyamilk, canjee, mixed cereal porridge, raw egg
Lunch : Raw rice/ boiled rice, Vegetable sambhar, Vegetable poriyal,Extra poriyal greens, Curd rice, Egg / Dhal/ chicken
for high protein
03.00 P.M : Milk for children, tea and wheat payasam for therapeutic and special diet
Dinner : Raw rice/Boiled rice/ Wheat rice/ idly, Sambhar, Poriyal, Extra poriyal, Sundal, Curd etc.
8 P.M : Milk for children, therapeutic and special diet
- Cereals and pulse mixed laddu are given thrice in a week to children
- Chicken was supplied once in a weak to burns patients, PEM patients etc
- Chicken soup was supplied once in a weak to Fluid diet patients, burns patients, PEM patients etc
- Idly is supplied once in a weak
- Wheat rice is supplied to diabetic patients
- Soya milk Conjee is supplied to fluid diet patients, burns patients. PEM patients etc.