With significant advances in operation techniques and better drugs to prevent rejection of transplanted organs and minimizing infections, it is now being increasingly recognized that organ transplantation is the most effective treatment for many diseases like kidney failure and some blood cancers. Keeping with its mandate for making medical care accessible to the ordinary citizens, JIPMER has pioneered establishing state of the art organ transplantation programs. At present kidney transplantation, Bone marrow transplantation and cornea (eye) transplantation are being offered at JIPMER. A multi-organ transplantation unit, including facilities for liver transplantation is being established at JIPMER now. In view of the large number of patients who need transplantation and the acute shortage of organ donors, JIPMER also established a deceased (cadaver) donor transplantation program at JIPMER, since December 2013. JIPMER is the first institution to start deceased donor transplantation program in Pondicherry.
Save lives by pledging your organs!
“The measure of life is not its duration, but its donation” – Peter Marshall
There are a large number of patients who die every year from diseases like kidney failure, liver failure, heart failure and blood cancer who could have survived to lead a productive life if they had a donor to donate organs to them. For a large number of these patients, organs from near relatives are not available for various reasons and the only option for them is to receive organs from a deceased donor. However deceased donor transplantation is still uncommon in India and occurs once in a while. Organ donation can save lives and we thank you for taking interest in this issue. You can do your bit by pledging your organs for transplantation, in case you face an untoward incident in life.
Now JIPMER offers you the option of formally pledging your organ(s) and you will be issued a ‘Donor Card’ once you pledge your organs.
The donor card offers you the opportunity to document your wish to donate your organs.
Steps for pledging your organs and obtaining a donor card from JIPMER:
- Know about organ donation and discuss with your family members. Taking family members into confidence is very important. The reason why this is important is that in case of an emergency or an untoward incident, your family will be the first to be contacted. Only after seeking their permission can the doctors go ahead with retrieving your organs. If your family is aware of your decision, your wishes will be carried out the way you would have liked. If the family is not aware and do not agree with your wish organ donation cannot happen.
- Download the Organ donation request form from here
- Fill the form in triplicate (3 copies are needed), sign it and bring it to the Medical Social Worker, Dept. of Nephrology in Super Specialty Block (OPD Room no.308, II floor) from Monday to Friday 9am to 1 pm. For further details please contact 0413-2297091
- You will be issued a ‘Donor Card’ from JIPMER
- You should carry the ‘Donor Card’ with you always. It will have the contact number in case you meet with an emergency and also will have your blood group.