I. Research Consultations:
The Department since its independent establishment during 2010-11 while providing Biostatistical guidance to various research projects and postgraduate dissertations through regular consultation-sessions (around 600 hours/ sessions) had also taken the role of co-investigator to some 25 research projects and as co-guide to some 15 postgraduate dissertations. On an average since 1987, a minimum of 200 such consultations are being provided regularly every year. In addition to those biostatistical consultations at least 300 hours of teaching had been devoted for the subjects of biostatistics and research methodology regularly each year; and attending as well coordinating conduct of journal clubs, seminars and CMEs & research workshops. Consultation slots for faculty, staff, resident doctors and students had already been worked out; subsequent interactions do take place mostly in the afternoons considering the mutual convenience of time.
II. SPSS Computer Lab Facility:
After being placed in an adhoc makeshift arrangement for about a year; Since July 2012, a Computer lab-cum seminar room facility with eight stand-alone SPSS software (version -19) terminals or nodes is open to various categories of researchers of this institution.
The Department had already organized four workshops during 2012-2013. Soon after the inauguration of SPSS Computer Lab-cum-Seminar Room by Director in the month of July, 2012; the Department conducted a three-day’s Workshop on Statistical Package SPSS – Hands on Training (Part I), during the period 30th, 31st August and 1st September 2012. Part II of the SPSS-Workshop was held during the 6th, 7th & 8th September 2012. A total of 21 PhD Scholars and Faculty have participated. Considering the requests and demands’ of the participants again a SPSS-Workshop (Part III) was held during 7th, 8th and 15th February 2013.
A separate full-day ‘SPSS- hands on training’ Workshop for College of Nursing was conducted for M.Sc. Nursing students’ on 5th January 2013. The Department through its SPSS Computer lab facility is committed to hold periodically the workshops on various aspects of SPSS usage.
III. Continuing Medical Education (CMEs) Programmes:
The Department is actively involved as Core-faculty through the Department of Medical Education in conduct of Orientation Programmes & Workshops on ‘Research, Ethics and Communication skills’ for 1st year medical postgraduates during the month of JULY to help them prepare the thesis protocols and a separate Workshop on ‘Research Methodology’ focused on data analysis and thesis writing for 3rd year Postgraduates during the month of APRIL, every year. During the current year separate additional Workshops on Research Methodology and Biostatistics were introduced for DM & MCh Post Doctoral Programmes and also for M.Sc. & PhD Scholars of various disciplines.
In continuity with the earlier two seminars organized during the months March and September 2011, the third full-day Seminar was conducted by the Department on 21st September 2012, coinciding with the availability of the Visiting Professor to the Department; Dr. Abhaya Indrayan, Ex. Senior Professor and Head, Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), Delhi, A total of 32 Faculty and Researchers have participated in the Seminar. This interactive Seminar on “Writing Research Proposals for JSAC” had four Sessions focused on - Research Methodology Basic Concepts for Research Proposals, Questionnaire and Qualitative Research followed by the Inaugural Talk by the Dean, JIPMER on ‘Intramural Funding’; Study Designs and Sample Size flowed by detailed discussions; Writing Research Proposals along with Group Task & a Plenary Session and Testing of Hypothesis & Tests of Significance & Philosophy of Statistical tests.
It is proposed to conduct regular training programmes, seminars & workshops on ‘Research Methodology and Biostatistics’ for medical Postgraduates, PhD Scholars, Junior & Senior Faculty of the Institute and also to hold periodic regional & national level workshops and seminars on topics of current interest.
The Department had also been actively involved in various research decision making committees at national level and within the institution. Indian Society for Medical Statistics (ISMS) was led by the senior faculty in Biometrics as its President (2007-08) and the Department is also recognized as the Office of the Chief Editor of the Bulletin of ISMS (2013-17) providing academic inputs to more than 850 life members of the Society. Local chapters of Indian Public Health Association (IPHA) and Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine (IAPSM) were established and coordinated by the Division of Biostatistics as President, since 2001 and continued through till the year 2006; and still busy providing guidance to the office bearers. Also, the first ever efforts in Spiritual health awareness and research among medical fraternity were initiated during the year 2001-02 by the department.
IV. Population based Monitoring, Evaluation and Epidemiological Studies:
The Division of Biostatistics since its inception in 1987 through the Department of P&SM had coordinated a number of epidemiological studies apart from conducting and supporting a variety of monitoring and evaluations; training and continuing education programmes; including the research components of several national health programmes, such as; Universal Immunization Programme (UIP); Integrated Child Development Services Programme (ICDS); Pulse Polio Immunization Programme (PPI & IPPI).
V. Computerized Information and Administrative inputs:
The evolution of the institute level computerized services for patients care (HIS); Administration & Accounts (AIS); Hindi Cell; Academics & Research (CRAFT); entrance examinations and related activities had continuous involvements and key challenging roles for the senior faculty in Biometrics as Coordinator (JICMIS -1998-2000), Consultant and Faculty-in-Charge, throughout the period (1987-2010). Also for a long period of seven years (2004-2010) entire Central Library activities were coordinated by the Department including establishment of computer lab and long term developmental planning and programmes of the Library.
The Department had been frequently invited by the institute administration to participate in policy decision making and preparation of various reports and documents as well to officially take –up the responsibilities to support and help conduct institute administration on certain occasions; including serving as Faculty Administration (2009-2010). More than twenty institutional level core-committees were headed by senior faculty of the Department. The Oversight committee (Medical Group) final report and DPRs’ preparation to enhance undergraduate and postgraduate seats in centrally governed medical institutions (around 12 Medical; 6 nursing; Dental and AYUSH) was helped and coordinated by Professor of Biometrics during the year 2006. The Department had recently during the current year -2013, had helped preparation of final reports related to Housekeeping and Security requirements of the institute.
VI. Documentations and Information Disseminations:
Apart from co-authoring a number of research papers presented in conferences and published in journals of repute; as may be found reflected and referred in the listing provided by the concerned Departments, a series of documents; information booklets and policy reports were prepared for JIPMER. A few are outlined hereunder;
- Annual “Evaluation studies on immunization coverage, antenatal care, KAP levels of mothers and lameness surveys in Pondicherry”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1988, 1989 and 1990, 1991, 1992.
- “ICDS Evaluation studies at Karaikal, Pondicherry”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1989 and 1991.
- “Report on the training of medical and health personal for the Universal Immunization Programme in Pondicherry”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Puducherry, 1991.
- “Study on health and social status of adolescents (11–18 years) in Pondicherry”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1991–92.
- “The elements of research, writing and editing”. Department of Urology, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1994.
- A WHO sponsored study - “A case study on utilization of facilities and services provided by community health centers”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1994–98.
- A Ministry of HRD, Dept of WCD –ICDS-CTC sponsored study - “Impact of unified approach of implementation of Integrated Child Development Services Programme in the Union Territory of Pondicherry”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1995–99.
- “Pulse Polio Immunization (PPI) Evaluation in Pondicherry”. Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1996, 1997 & 1998.
- “JIPMER Integrated Computerized Management Information System (JICMIS)”. JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1998–99.
- “Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research: Information Brochure–I”. JIPMER, Puducherry, 2000.
- Multiple Indicator Survey (MICS–2000): India Summary Report. Department of Women and Child Development (Government of India) & United Nations children’s Fund (India Country Office), December, 2001.
- “Effective Biomedical Communication – focused on effective writing of research papers in biomedical sciences”. 23rd annual national conference of Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists (IABMS), JIPMER, Pondicherry, 2002.
- “Acted as a ‘Monitor’ for various rounds of IPPI”. UT of Pondicherry, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002.
- “Oversight Committee (Report (Part-I) by the group on Medical Education): Oversight Committee (Part-II: Action oriented report, policy Issues & Institution Specific DPR)”. Government of India, India, July-Dec, 2006.
- “Detailed Project Report”; Oversight Committee. JIPMER, Puducherry, August, 2006.
- “Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research: Information Brochure–II”. JIPMER, Puducherry, 2007.
- “JIPMER Annual Report”. JIPMER, Puducherry, 2009-10; 2010-11; 2011-2012
- “JIPMER Annual Report Hindi Version”. JIPMER, Puducherry, 2009-2010; 2010-2011; 2011-2012.
- Seminars on “Research Design; Sampling and Basic Steps involved in Project formulation for JSAC”. JIPMER, Puducherry, March; September, 2011 and September, 2012.