“Promote, Provide and Assist Justice through Knowledge of Medicine”
The department provides educational services not only to M.B.B.S., Post-graduate students but also to the paramedical (EMT/MRD/MRD) students in the subjects of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. The Institution is recognized as a Medico-legal center by the Government of India. Department also provides a favorable environment for conduct of scientific research, which has beneficial practical outcomes. Our objective is not only to provide the above mentioned services but to exceed expectations of students, patients and law enforcement agencies. At present, there are three faculties, two senior residents and five post-graduate students are working in the department.
- Equip the future doctors with knowledge of ‘Forensic aspects’ of different branches of medicine and enable them to apply the same in practice.
- Provide world class training on Medico-legal issues and Medical Jurisprudence with emphasis on Medico-legal Documentation and examination of cases.
- Relentless efforts to generate world-class research in the subject and endeavor to develop newer techniques of examination of evidences; and facilitate the law enforcement agencies.
- Utilizing the expertise and authority of our faculty and staff in the field of Forensic Medicine, the department provides comprehensive services to the community, through innovative programs that relate to medico-legal issues.
To enable the future healthcare providers to:
- Shoulder the responsibility of providing quality medical care to the society, without infringing the virtuous medical ethics and medical code of conduct.
- Acquire knowledge of law in relation to medical practice.
- They should also be capable of
- Making observations and inferring conclusions by logical deduction.
- Setting enquiries on the right track in criminal matters and associated medico-legal problems.
- Facilitating the Law enforcement agencies and the Judiciary in criminal investigations and implementation of justice.
Being a part of this premier institute, the department endeavors to provide the following facilities which would be a bench mark for other institutes. The vision of the department is to establish the following services in the forth-coming years:
- Diatom Lab
- Analytical Toxicology Lab
- DNA Fingerprinting
- Medico-legal Training and Information Centre.
- Poison Information Centre