The Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care
The Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care was one of the first departments to be started when the institute was established as “Etudes de medicine” in 1956 by the French.
The entire department consisted of two consultants and four operation theaters providing all anesthesia and emergency services.
When the institute was named JIPMER, the department was commissioned on the II floor of the main hospital and provided service to 6 operation theaters with six consultants. With time the services have expanded to include Super specialties, Emergency services with three operating tables, Acute and Chronic Pain services, and exclusive state of the art Critical Care Unit (CCU) with round the clock service. The department also takes care of the Central oxygen supply unit (Two liquid oxygen plants).
The department has a sanctioned faculty of 22 consultants, 35 senior residents, Post graduation in Anaesthesiology was started with 2 MD and 4 DA seats in late 1970’s. Presently the annual intake is 10 postgraduate students (MD).